Top Credit Card Issuers
Visa and Mastercard are the credit card network and do not actually issue credit cards to consumers. Instead, banks or credit unions will work with credit card networks to issue cards.
The “issuer” is the bank or credit union that backs the card financially. The issuer referred to as the issuing bank or credit card company.
The credit card issuing bank is in charge of:
- Approving or denying credit card applications
- Setting the terms and most of the benefits on the account
- Paying for transactions on behalf of the cardholder
- Collecting payments from the cardholder
- Providing customer service
Although credit card networks and credit card issuers serve entirely different purposes, there is no rule that prevents a company from both processing and issuing credit cards.
American Express and Discover are both credit card networks and credit card issuers.
Credit cards from the Visa and Mastercard networks are issued to consumers by different banks such as Chase, Capital One, Citi, Wells Fargo, US Bank and Bank of America.
American Express and Discover cards are generally, though not exclusively, issued directly from American Express or Discover without the involvement of a middleman.
1. American Express
Active in over 130 different countries, American Express (AMEX) is the world’s largest issuer of credit cards in terms of transactions, averaging 6 billion transactions per year. American Express primarily accepts high-income cardholders with robust credit scores.
Purchase Volume(Billion): $686.9
Market Share: 20%
List of American Express Cards
- American Express® Gold Card.
- The Platinum Card®Cash Magnet® Card.
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card.
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card.
- Amex EveryDay® Credit Card.
- Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card.
- Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card.
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
- Delta Reserve® Credit Card
- Hilton Honors Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
- American Express Green Card
- American Express® Green Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
- Serve® from American Express
Related: Best American Express Cards
American Express Credit Card Application
From travel rewards to cashback, find a Credit Card from American Express with benefits and rewards that are right for you. In order to apply for American Express card, navigate to the American Express homepage https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/ and review you eligibily and apply online.
American Express Credit Card Login
In order to log into your American Express online account, navigate to the American Express homepage https://www.americanexpress.com/ and supply your User ID and Password in the empty spaces. You can save your login credentials for future logins by clicking the box next to Remember Me. Lastly, click login to gain entry to your online account.
2. JP Morgan Chase
Chase is the top issuer of general-purpose credit cards in the U.S.
Purchase Volume(Billion): $669.9
Market Share: 20%
List of Chase Credit Cards
- Chase Freedom Unlimited® credit card
- Chase Freedom® credit card
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Chase Slate® credit card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- UnitedSM Explorer card
- UnitedSM TravelBank Card
- United MileagePlus® Club Card
- British Airways Visa Signature® card
- Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus credit card
- The World of Hyatt Credit Card
- Disney® Premier Visa® Card
- Disney® Visa® Card
- IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
- Starbucks Rewards™ Visa® Card
- Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card
- AARP® Credit Card from Chase
Related: Best Chase Credit Cards
Chase Credit Card Application
Chase offers an excellent card finder tool which would help you finalize the type of card which would suit you, before completing the application process.
Chase Credit Card Login
If you are an existing chase credit cardholder, you can manage your chase credit card issuers online account through a safe and secure web portal that allows you to make immediate payments on outstanding balances as well as activate any newly received cards.
Use the following secured link to login to your Chase account https://www.chase.com/
You’ll see all available accounts when you log in using your user ID and password.
If you have personal and business accounts and want to see both using the same user ID and password, please enroll your business account(s) first, then choose “Add personal accounts” on your “My Accounts” page.
Citibank is a major banking institution for customers with above-average credit standing
Purchase Volume(Billion): $384.6
Market Share: 11%
List of Citibank Credit Cards
- Citi® Double Cash Card
- Citi Simplicity® Card
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
- Citi Rewards+SM Card.
- Citi PremierSM Card
- Citi Prestige® Card
- Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card
- Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
- Expedia® Rewards CARD from Citi
- Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
- Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi
- AT&T Access Card From Citi
- Citi® Secured Mastercard®
Related: Best Citi Credit Cards
Chase Credit Card Application
4. Bank of America
Bank of America is a major banking institution for customers with above-average credit standing
Purchase Volume(Billion): $332.9
Market Share: 10%
List of Bank of America Credit Cards
- Bank of America® Cash Rewards
- Bank of America® Travel Rewards
- Bank of America® Premium Rewards®
- Alaska Airlines Visa®
- Susan G. Komen® Cash Rewards Visa® credit card from Bank of America
- World Wildlife Fund
- U.S. Pride®
- Spirit Airlines World Mastercard®
- Allegiant World Mastercard®
- Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard®
- Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard®
- Norwegian Cruise Line®
- Royal Caribbean®
- Virgin Atlantic
- Asiana Visa Signature®
- Celebrity Cruises®
- BankAmericard® Secured
- Bank of America® Cash Rewards for Students
- Bank of America® Travel Rewards for Students
- BankAmericard® for Students
5. Capital One
Capital One is attentive to the needs of every cardholder. Capital One provides premium benefits and invaluable tools for everyone.
Purchase Volume(Billion): $288.7
Market Share: 9%
List of Capital One Credit Cards
- Venture® Rewards
- VentureOne® Rewards
- Quicksilver® Rewards
- Savor® Rewards
- SavorOne Rewards
- QuicksilverOne® Rewards
- Journey® Student Rewards
- Secured Mastercard®
- Spark® Cash
- Spark® Miles
- Spark® Cash Select
- Spark® Miles Select
- Spark® Classic
6. U.S. Bank
US Bank offers credit cards for rebuilding credit for first-timers, students, small businesses, and for the general populace.
Purchase Volume(Billion): $136.1
Market Share: 4%
List of U.S. Bank Credit Cards
- U.S. Bank Altitude™ Reserve Visa Infinite® Card
- U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card
- U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card
- U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature® Card
- U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Select+ American Express® Card
- U.S. Bank Secured Visa® Card
Discover offers numerous cash back and travel promotional offers on its credit cards.
Purchase Volume(Billion): $128.8
Market Share: 4%
List of Discover Credit Cards
- Discover it® Cash Back
- Discover it® Miles
- Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurants
- Discover it® Secured
- Discover it® Student Cash Back
- Discover it® Chrome for Students
- NHL® Discover it®
- Discover it® Business
8. Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo credit cards provide offers and diverse financial assistance.
Purchase Volume(Billion): $125.8
Market Share: 4%
List of Wells Fargo Credit Cards
- Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
- Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card
- Wells Fargo Rewards® Card
- Wells Fargo Platinum Card
- Wells Fargo Secured Credit Card
- Wells Fargo Cash Back CollegeSM Card
Top Credit Card Issuers in 2017.