Uber Credit Card Review
Uber Credit Card is one of the best cash back credit cards recommended for everybody who uses Uber frequently along with making purchases for stream music and videos online, shop online, dine out, and purchase air tickets and book hotel rooms often.
Terms & Fees
- Annual Fee: $0
- Purchase APR: 16.49%, 22.24% or 25.24% Variable
- Cash Advance APR: 26.49% Variable
- Cash Advance Fee: 3%, $10 Minimum
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0%
- Balance APR: 16.49%, 22.24% or 25.24% Variable
- Balance Transfer Fee: 3%, $10 Minimum
- Late Fee: Up to $37
- Return Payment Fee: Up to $37
- The points in your card never expire till the card is active and in good standing
- The foreign transaction fees for purchases made abroad is zero
- If you spend $5000 annually, then $50 is credited to your account at the end of the year
- If you pay your mobile phone bills using the card, then you will be eligible for mobile phone insurance for up to $600
- Variable APR for purchases and balance transfers are 15.99%, 21.74%, or 24.74%
Earning the Rewards
- If you spend $500 in the first 90 days after purchasing the card, you will earn $100
- Earn 4% cash back on Uber-Eats, dining, bars and take outs
- Earn 3% cash back on the bookings of air tickets and hotels
- Earn 2% cash back on Uber and other online purchases, except the third party payments like PAYPAL
- Earn 1% cash back on all the other purchases
Though the cash back on Uber rides is low, the card strategically keeps those activities in 3% and 4% cash back categories for which you will probably be using the Uber rides. These include:
- Travel: If you are going to an airport or hotel, you will be using Uber to reach there
- Restaurants and Bars: You are more likely to call an Uber and not drive by yourself if you are going to enjoy at a bar
- Online Shopping: If your phone has an Uber app, then it implies that you are tech savvy and this increases your chances of shopping online more frequently.
Redeeming the Rewards
The rewards you get through Uber Credit Card are points and not real cash. However, since each point is equivalent to 1 cent, you can calculate it concerning cash amount also.
You can redeem your points in 3 ways:
- Cash Back: You can effortlessly redeem a minimum of $25 and get it directly in your saving or checking account. You can also have the same amount of cashback reflected as balance in your credit card statement.
- Uber Credits: You can use the Uber app for Uber rides to redeem the points. IT offers a minimum redemption value of $5 for every 500 points.
- Gift Cards: You can purchase gift cards, but they take ten business days to deliver. Majority of the cards offer $25 in exchange of 2,500 points while occasionally you might even get a deal of $25 in exchange of 2,250 points.
Of the three options, it is recommended to go with the cash back method as it is the simplest and quickest way to redeem your point. You can get that much amount deducted from your account balance or have it transferred to any bank account of your choice with ease.
Benefits to Cardholders
As an Uber Credit/Visa Cardholder, you will be eligible for two types of benefits:
- Visa Platinum Benefits: It includes a set of protection benefits offered by the Visa card network.
- Barclays Benefits: These are the benefits provided by the card issuer, which in this case is Uber.
- Enjoy a credit of $50 for online streaming services for an expenditure of $5,000 per annum.
- Check your credit score based on TransUnion credit report free of cost. You also tend to learn the factors that influence your score displayed in the report.
- You attain cell phone insurance of up to $600 in case of damage, theft, or involuntary leaving of your cell phone.
- You enjoy a waiver on auto rental collision in case of damage or theft of any rental car you use for your personal use.
- 24-hour emergency care assistance in case of lost or stolen card.
- You get the benefit of zero liability fraud protection in case of any unauthorized transactions and fraudulent activity through your card.
Though there are many other credit cards, which might offer you better rates, the benefits that Uber Visa Card offers are indeed incomparable. Apart from all the cash back and redemption benefits, it provides you the price protection, which is one of a kind advantage offered by any of the credit card issuers. In case you purchase anything using Uber Credit Card, and later you find the similar item at a lesser price, you get the reimbursement with the difference amount in your account once you bring it to the notice of the Uber Card service providers.