Choosing Reloadable Debit Cards for Kids
Kids these days, are much more individualistic and independent than what we were at their age. After reaching a certain age, they do not like any kind of interference from their parents in their lives. Even when it comes to spending money, they would like to spend on things that they want to, without asking their parents for money every time they set out shopping. But seriously, can a teen be trusted with money? This is where reloadable debit cards that are meant for kids come handy.
Reloadable Debit Card
A reloadable debit card has the plus points of both, a credit card as well as debit cards for kids. It is like a credit card that has no credit line and a debit card which does not need a bank account. To operate this card, all a person has to do is to periodically update it with cash, and then he can use this card wherever and whenever he wants, up to the limit of the money he has updated it with.
Once the person uses the debit cards for kids to the limit of the money, he has to reload the card again with some cash. A person who reloads the debit card has to pay a transaction fee every time he does so.
- The main advantage is that they are accepted everywhere, just like normal credit and debit cards, hence, using them becomes easy.
- To obtain these, no credit checks are required.
- If the funds in the debit card are insufficient, all further transactions through it will be declined. So, there can never be any bank overdraft fees on them. Also, parents can set a limit as to how much money their kids can spend.
- All the transactions that are done by the kids through these cards can be tracked online by the parents. So, parents can keep a check on their children’s spending, and even guide them if they are going overboard on their spending.
- Another advantage is that they are much safer to carry than cash.
- These cards also regulate the amount of money that a child is spending per month, and hence, help in controlling the costs.
- The card can be reloaded easily, as there are thousands of locations where it can be done. Similarly, money can be withdrawn through them at equal number of ATMs.
- If the kid ever loses his card, all one has to do is to report that it is stolen, and a new card will be issued in its place.
Looking at its advantages, one can easily conclude that it is certainly a good idea for parents to get reloadable debit cards for kids. Here are some tips on choosing the same. Firstly, some cards come with a transaction fee, while there are others which charge a particular monthly fee. Choose the one that suits your purchasing habits the best. Another thing that you should keep in mind is the convenience to reload the card. Go in for a card whose reload packs are available everywhere, in convenient stores, malls, etc. Lastly, some cards offer certain points, bonuses, and rewards. Choose the ones which offer such extra benefits.