Best Airline Credit Cards for July 2018
Airline credit cards are one of the most expensive yet lucrative options for frequent flyers. They get to enjoy the benefits through airline miles that are also known as travel points issued to cardholders as a part of the loyalty program of several airline cards.
Explore the Benefits of Airline Cards
Having an airline card especially for those who love to travel and are frequent flyers is an asset. The known benefits of the credit card are as follows:
• The primary benefit is earning rewards in the form of points or miles added to your expenditure. You keep flying, and miles get added to your credit card that collectively converts to various benefits like free flights, discounted travel purchases, dining offers or cash back.
• Most of the airline cards provide excellent discounts on airfares, and some include companion certificate annually as a reward for using the corresponding card.
• The cardholder also gets various travel benefits, perks and protection like lost baggage protection, propriety check-in, discount on in-flight purchases, waived transaction fees, discounts on car rental and emergency assistance.
Tips To Choose the Best Airline Credit Cards
If you are a frequent flyer and you have made up your mind to go ahead with a fruitful airline card, then here are some tips to help you choose the best one for yourself:
• The first thing is to know the options of airline credit cards available in your location.
• Scrutinize the choices and keep in mind the read reviews and personal bits of advice.
• Know your travel frequency and opt for a suitable reward program.
• Analyze your spending capacity while having an insight of your earning potential.
• Understand all the possible benefits regarding cancellation insurance, transaction fees, lost baggage protection, waived fees for extra baggage, priority check-in, and access to the premium lounge.
Know the Top 5 Airline Credit Cards
The top picks amongst a host of options available for airline cards in 2018 are as follows:
1. Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card: This is one of the most prominent and rewarding airline credit cards of the year 2018. The airline serves only a few airports including Central America, Caribbean, and Mexico along with some smaller airports. The reward points earned on per dollar spent are determined using the flight ticket price that in three fare category types; Wanna Get Away Fare with a reward rate of 6:1, Anytime Fare with a reward rate of 10:1 and Business Select Fare with a reward rate of 12:1.
2. Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Credit Card: This is considered to be one of the most valuable and premium airline cards with a reward rate of 3:1 on Alaska Airlines purchases. This Airline card serves 19 airline partners with 14,250 daily flights across more than 800 destinations worldwide. The earning scheme along with some of the best features like lost luggage protection, purchase security, concierge service, shopping discounts and large sign-up bonuses make the card a worthwhile purchase.
3. United MileagePlus Explorer Card: This card is an excellent tool to earn some extra benefits out of flying. The reward rate is 2: 1 for United Airline and 1:1 for other purchases. The card has about 28 airline partners with an average number of 21,000 daily flights across 1200 destinations worldwide. An excellent earning scheme, flexible redemption option, priority boarding privileges, 25% in-flight discount, lost luggage reimbursement, and extended warranties are some of the notable features of the card.
4. Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard: The Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is one of the most desired and lucrative airline cards with generous sign up bonuses and abundant benefits including auto rental insurance, purchase protection, presale tickets, concierge service, roadside assistance, lost luggage reimbursement and zero fraud liability. The reward rate is 2:1 for flight purchases, 2:1 for gas stations and restaurants and 1: on other purchases. There are 25 airline partners with 14,250 daily flights across 1000 destinations worldwide.
5. Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express: The card is a premium card from American Express and Delta Airlines with a reward rate of 2:1 on Delta purchases. Delta Reserve® Credit Card, designed exclusively for high spenders offers an experience of elite status with an opportunity to increase the earning potential through bonus MQMs. Furthermore, shopping benefits, entertainment options and numerous travel benefits including in-flight savings, priority boarding, fraud protection, and complimentary access to Sky Club are the prime features of the card.
Key Highlights of the Chosen Top Credit Cards for 2018
|Airline Credit Card||Sign-Up Bonuses||Annual Fees $||Variable APR||Avg. $ Value||Notable Perks|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus||40,000 miles for spending $1,000 in first 3 months||69||17.49% - 24.49%||445||3,000 Bonus Points on Every Anniversary of Your Card|
Points Earned Get to Gift You Companion Pass
No Foreign Transaction Fees
|Alaska Airlines Visa Signature||30,000 miles for spending $1,000 in first 90 Days||75||16.74% - 24.74%||565||Free Checked Bag for Cardholder and other 6 Companions|
Annual Companion Fare is $99
Flexible Transferable Reward Points
|United MileagePlus Explorer Card||40,000 miles for spending $2,000 in first 3 months||95||17.49% - 24.49%||488||One Free Checked Bag When You Pay for Priority Boarding Using the Credit Card|
Access to Additional Space Available on Flights
An Award of 2 United Club Passes Annually
|Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard||60,000 miles for spending $3,000 in first 3 months||99||17.74% - 25.74%||845||Priority Boarding|
25% discount on In-Flight Purchase
Free Checked Bag for Cardholder and other 4 Companions
No Foreign Transaction Fees
|Delta Reserve® from American Express||40,000 miles along with 10,000 MQMs for spending $3,000 in first 3 months||450||17.24% -19.24%||500||Free Checked Bag for Cardholder and other 8 Companions|
Companion Certificate Annually on the Card Anniversary
High MQMs Bonuses with High Annual Spend